Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My First of Many

I completed my first one-act play today, which means I am officially a playwright!

I am actually very happy with how it turned out. It's a romantic comedy about a girl who is a crazy feminist and a hippie guy who plays guitar who meet in a coffee shop.

Writing comedy is extremely hard to do. I think that's why there are more good dramas out there than good comedies (and by good, I do not mean the Will Ferrel kind). Its all about characters, dialogue, TIMING. 

While I can't say I know a lot about writing comedy yet (this was my first attempt), I have learned romantic comedy structure in class, and it is extremely useful to know.

The key to writing great romantic plays (and screenplays) is having great romantic structure. This structure not only applies to traditional romance films, but also the buddy films. 

Romantic Structure:
1. the characters have to "meet cute"
2. they must reverse roles
3. they then adapt to their new roles
4. they fall in love
5. they must part
6. they must reunite and then continue on together (while retaining their individuality). 

It's a very basic structure, and lots of great films follow it. Tootsie, Kramer vs. Kramer, The Holiday, When Harry Met Sally-- just to name a few. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...