Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Romantics

The Romantics screened at Sundance Film Festival last week. I haven't seen the film yet (obviously), and I'll be the first to admit that regrettably, I did not follow the festival very closely this year.

But this interview with The Romantics director Galt Niederhoffer makes me wish I'd gone to the festival. And had gotten to meet her.

In addition to showing how incredibly articulate and intelligent she is, Niederhoffer talks about the difficulties of making a film in the Romantic Movie genre, like how to steer clear of the cliché while being truly sincere.

My favorite quotes from her include:
" . . . I mean [romantic movies] have a purpose — they make us feel good, and they remind us of the universal fact that we all are pitting this enormity of emotion against the question of that emotion’s validity in real life."
"Sincerity goes very easily to the point of sentimentality, and I wanted to ride that line, which is a hard thing to do. Emotions are as tricky in stories as they are in the real world. They’re big and unruly and often the very unattractive sign of absurd and compulsive narcissism, you know? That quality is so true of young people and their emotions that you really have to navigate it with some care. The question kind of becomes: are young people fools, or are young people honest?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...