Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Making Picture Frames


My art teacher is awesome. Bomb dot com.

About a month ago, when we started the printmaking "unit" in my art class, I made this really cool print series as a birthday gift for my dad. But the problem was that the gift is made up of a bunch of small pieces, and I didn't want my dad to have to hang them all individually -- and risk him either not wanting to put them up because it was too much trouble or having super slanty pictures on his wall (I can just hear my dad saying "Oh yea of little faith" as I type this).

The solution? Make a picture frame structure to hold it all together. Daddy-proof! But also totally outside my area of expertise.

Art teacher to the rescue!

Over the course of two days (and a gazillion hours and counting), my teacher and I sawed, glued, air-gunned, and glued some more. And filled in all the holes with grainy "imitation wood" stuff.

Learning how to make picture frames from scrap wood = SO MUCH FUN!!!




I enjoyed wielding me some power tools. A refreshing change from my pretty subdued life.


Clamps held each side of the frame together, allowing me to align the edges perfectly
and then glue and nail gun them together.

Now the only things left for me to do are to spray paint all the frames black and make little wooden pegs to fit between the frames so they go together like puzzle pieces.

I can't wait to see the finished product. I've never made anything so substantial before, and now I really wish that I'd taken an art class before this semester. I'm addicted to the wood shop, and I'd be making all my frames for the rest of my life if I could.




Oh, that's me using a whatchoom'callit. To prove that I can actually be a handy person.

Also, please admire the snazzy new eyewear. All the cool kids have them.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa! Your art teacher is really amazing. That aside, that's a really nice gift to give your dad. Which reminds me, I should really start making a new picture frame for my daughter, since she asked me to help her make one for a school project.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...