Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What would life be without homegrown tomatoes?


Homegrown tomatoes, homegrown tomatoes,
What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes?
There's only two things that money can't buy...
And that's true love & homegrown tomatoes.

Ever since being the lucky recipient of a bunch of little homegrown tomatoes yesterday morning, I can't get this song out of my head. It brings me back to camping in Paradise Valley, Montana, and going to see an old country/folk band play at a small diner nearby (tucked into the hillside on the side of the highway). I think the band was called Paradise Players, and they sang all these classic old country songs that we used to listen to on tape all the time.

In fact, we listened to their music so much that I still have most of their songs memorized, and I haven't heard them in over ten years.

So after singing this song to myself all day (but only remembering the refrain), I finally looked up the lyrics. And then the "Homegrown Tomatoes" song took me back, so I had to google the Paradise Players and see what they were up to. Doesn't look like they are still a band (not surprising since they played forever ago), but I did stumble upon a little homemade YouTube film of a Fourth of July parade in Livingston, Montana, which is right around where I used to live for a year or two growing up.


Favorite parts of this little treasure:
0:38 -- So cute!
0:57-1:37 -- I love this small-town parade. Everyone looks so happy!
4:35 -- That float is actually pretty impressive.
6:10 -- So so so adorable. I challenge you not to yawn as well.
7:17-8:24 -- Makes me miss small-town living a little. A very little.

"I think God must have been a cowboy at heart,
Cause he made wide open spaces from the start.
He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend,
And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again."
- "God Must Be a Cowboy"-- sung by Dan Seals


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...