Saturday, January 1, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Montana is cold. Very cold.

Going back to my dad not having a car, it's veeeeeery cold. Freezing, in fact.

And we were walking everywhere in it. 

For example, early yesterday afternoon, my dad and I put on some warm clothes and walked to the bus stop. We were heading down to the YMCA (about nine blocks from my dad's apartment). It has been snowing constantly for the last two days, and we now have at least a foot of snow covering the ground. I dressed as was needed to get me from the front door to the bus. 

But the bus didn't come. I think we probably missed it. 

So -- and this speaks to our intense dedication to working out (or my dad's, rather)-- we walked to the gym. 

Walked. Nine blocks in freezing weather. Literally.

We passed a little ticker-tape sign that read 0 degrees. I repeat, ZERO degrees. 

When I got to the gym, I immediately went to the locker room and took off my shoes. I then spent the next twenty minutes slapping and poking my feet, trying to breathe life back into my toes.

My workout was severely shortened by this effort.


However, after the gym, my dad and I walked across downtown to good ol' Enterprise -- and rented a car. We had already been planning on renting a car for some previously undetermined three-day stretch while I was in Billings (so that we could go shopping for Dad's apartment while I was here), but I think the frigid cold was a convincing enough argument to get the car immediately.

I'm so glad we did. Not only did we not have to walk a gajillion blocks or take the bus home, but we then had a car for New Year's Eve festivities.

For dinner, my dad took me to this really cute new Italian restaurant in town, where we drank wine, ate caprese (my absolute favorite dish, possibly in the entire world), and watched the guys on the other side of the counter toss pizza dough (which takes a bunch of talent, let me tell you).

Then, after dinner, we drove to the movie theater with the intention of seeing True Grit. But the earlier times were already sold out by the time we got there, and we didn't want to be in the movie theater at midnight. So instead, we watched The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

In 3-D.

Swoop!

It actually wasn't that bad. I mean, I remember really liking the book when I was younger, so I spent a good deal of the movie going, "Oh yeah! That's what happens!"

Overall, it's a great kid's movie. And the morals of the story don't completely hit you over the head (though they're very thinly veiled/almost eye-rolling obvious at the end).

After the movie, we headed back to my dad's apartment where he played guitar and I painted for an hour or so -- until it was about fifteen minutes until midnight. Then came the customary Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve on TV (except this year it's with Ryan Seacrest). We watched the ball drop, while commenting on how we didn't recognize a single member of the Backstreet Boys and that Ke$ha was trying way to hard with that frosty blue lipstick of hers. My dear, the boys will never take you seriously like that.

Overall, it was a great way to spend the last day of 2010. And now it's on to 2011. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...