Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day Four - Saturday (continued)

THE EVENING
My friends and I got to the screening of Heartbeats an hour and forty-five minutes early so that we'd be sure to get a seat. This was one of the only films I felt I really wanted to see, and it was worth it to me to get there so early.

The funny thing is, though, that I only really wanted to see the movie because I'd heard great things about the director since coming to Cannes (I'd never heard about him before). Apparently the director, Xavier Dolan, is only 21 years old and this is his second film in a row to make it into the Cannes Film Festival. His film in Cannes last year, J'ai tuè ma mère (I Killed My Mother), won the competition in his category, and he got a fifteen-minute standing ovation at the end of the film premiere.

With such high recommendations, I was really interested in seeing his film. And not getting in to his afternoon screening because of the high volume of other people that wanted to get into the show supported my desire to go see him even more.



The awesome screen shot of Tim Burtin and the old Batman to
advertise the major directors and films in the festival. This was
up on the screen before the movie started while people filed into
the theater.

The movie itself will definitely be one of my favorites here at Cannes. The cinematography was sweeping and almost made my heart race, and the music was used really well to accent the moods of the characters. There were also hilarious side "story" with interviews of people about love (kinda). My favorite girl discusses how she stalks her man. Its hilarious.

I think this article does a pretty good job discussing the film:

When the movie was over, the director walked out through the lobby and was of course bombarded by admirers. I got a few pictures.

I think the best part of the film is that we all left with that sort of high that only comes from watching an excellent movie. There's an adrenaline rush and euphoria that leaves you wanting to run out and make a movie instantly, because the film just seen was so powerful and inspiring. It's movies like that that validate why I want to make movies.

AFTER THE SHOW
After the movie, the group of guys I was with and I bought ice cream cones at a small little vendor and went down to the docks to eat them. It was one of those enchanting moments, where we talked about where we wanted to go in our film lives, while munching in delicious gelato and looking out over the city of Cannes.

Side Note: On the way home, this entire group of people fit into one single bus. In France, they pack you in like sardines and don't understand the concept of capacity limits. I appreciate it that way though, because it means that no matter how big the line, you'll almost always get to go home on that bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...