Monday, May 31, 2010

Films To See

I just realized that I don't have a "Films from Cannes You Must See" list yet. Granted, I only saw a handful of movies, so my recommendations should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.

But here goes....

Movies that Should Get Oscar Recognition:

Biutiful
Directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu
Starring Javier Bardem, Martina García, and Blanca Portillo

The trailer:

Recognition will go to Javier Bardem-- If he doesn't get a nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role, I will be stunned.

Blue Valentine
Directed by Derek Cianfrance
Starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams

Here's a clip:

The two should be nominated for Best Actor and Actress in Leading Roles, and the movie itself is good enough for a Best Picture and/or Best Director nod, personally.


Film to See that Probably Wont Make It to U.S. Theaters:

Heartbeats (Les amours imaginaires)
Directed by Xavier Dolan
Starring Xavier Dolan, Monia Chokr (she was fabulous), and Niels Schneider

The trailer:

Heartbeats was by far the best movie I saw at Cannes. I like Blue Valentine and Biutiful a lot (and think they have more potential), but Heartbeats won me over. The acting is great, love the story, the music goes perfectly with everything, and just the fact that the director is only 21 has me in awe.


Film to See that Will Most Definitely Make It to U.S. Theaters

Fair Game
Directed by Doug Liman
Starring Sean Penn and Naomi Watts

Here's a clip:

Based on the true story of the outing of CIA Agent Valerie Plame.


Films to See that Will Probably Have At Least Limited Release in US Theaters:

Another Year
Directed by Mike Leigh
Starring: a ton of people-- Jim Broadbent, Ruth Sheen, Oliver Maltman, and Lesley Manville (so good!), among others.

Here's a clip:


You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
Directed by Woody Allen
Starring: also a ton of people-- Naomi Watts, Antonio Banderas, Josh Brolin, Anthony Hopkins, Freida Pinto (from Slumdog Millionaire), Lucy Punch, and Gemma Jones

Here's a clip:


---------------

So that's it. Those are my notes on the films I saw in Cannes (I saw a few others, but none as note-worthy). I guess we'll just have to see what comes of them.

And if you have time to see just a few, please be sure to watch Heartbeats, Biutiful, and Blue Valentine. Those are a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...