Monday, April 4, 2011

An Excursion to Pops

"Get your kicks... on Route 66!" 
-- that one song about Route 66




One particularly large item on my "List of Things to Do Before I Graduate" -- besides skipping class to get swirls at the Mont and eating at Bobo's Chicken in OKC -- has always been going to this magical place called Pops.

I'd heard about it once freshman year, where it went on my list immediately. But it's forty minutes away in Arcadia and I don't have a car and all sorts of other excuses, so I never went.

But now I'm graduating in five weeks. We're getting down to the wire, people. It's a now-or-never situation.

So it took all the way until my senior year -- and the panic of "I'll never get to do this again!"-- to get my butt up there to check it out.




I wish I hadn't waited so long. But I finally went to Pops last week.

And took a gazillion pictures and watched a gorgeous sunset and drank a Yacht Club Birch Beer soda and a funky cream soda (with a cool label). Barry had some cola with the Colorado flag on it and pop called Oregon Marionberry. We take geographically diversity very seriously.


From Left to Right: Zuberfizz Cola, Celon's Mythical Créme Soda, Yacht Club Birch Beer, and Oregon Marionberry. Mine were the two in the middle.




It was great.

What's Pops, you ask?

Pops is this awesome gas station/restaurant/soda shop. They sell gas and burgers and about 500 different kinds of pop. And they have a giant neon pop bottle outside.





On the outside, the gas station/restaurant kinda looks like a big retro space ship, and inside, the walls on both sides are made of glass. And, lining both walls, floor to ceiling, are rows and rows of pop bottles (which are unfortunately for looking only and are glued to the shelves).




Like I said, it's a magical place.




And that, my friends, is the story of my adventure to Pops. Next time you are on Route 66, just outside Arcadia, you should stop on by. It's worth the detour (or a trip unto itself).




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...