Sunday, April 18, 2010

Thoughts of L.A. Dance Through My Head

I haven't been able to stop thinking about Los Angeles since I've gotten home. My mind is always there. I'm thinking about my upcoming internship there or what I am going to do after school or where my life will be ten years from now-- all of it ties back to LA.

Today I went to a workshop put on by an OU alumn (Matt Payne) about how to get a job in Hollywood. He handed us a sheet with the five lowest unpaid positions (that we all ultimately start in) and how to network our way up from there into better positions. The sheet had everything from job descriptions, to what to wear on the job, to who to suck up to.

He also had a lot of valuable advice about practical things when moving out to LA. Like don't EVER break any traffic laws, however minor you think they are, because they will cost you a fortune in California (like $450 for running a yellow light and $100 for not moving your car on Tuesday morning when the street cleaner comes by). And scope out the addresses of apartments for sale before signing a lease, or you'll end up in a sketchy neighborhood-- seems intuitive, but apparently happens to a lot of people.

I'm glad I went to the workshop. It was definitely a recap of the things I learned in LA, but the ideas were more flushed out here. And honestly, I could probably go to at least three or four more of those things before I felt that the information was too redundant to bear.

Every time I hear it, I feel inspired. And it's heartening (in a twisted way), because I feel that if I'm getting all pumped up now about working in an environment where people scream and throw cell phones at me, then maybe I am cut out for the business after all.

1 comment:

  1. I miss it too! I can't wait to go back. I'm saving up for another trip this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...