Monday, June 7, 2010

Packing Up and Moving Out

I'm taking a break from packing, because it's intimidating me. I thought that perhaps a step back would put things into perspective. But instead, I went online and found the list of things that I'll need to pack for my Philadelphia internship with Teach for America (like a pillow, blanket, towel, etc), and I'm back to freaking out. I don't even know what box in my closet those things are in!

I also think it finally hit me yesterday just how long I'll be gone this summer. From now until I return to Oklahoma in late August, I will be gone for over eleven weeks (almost three months)-- five of which will be spent "on the road." I can't remember the last time I was gone for so long (leaving for college doesn't count). I'll have no home base and will be living out of a suitcase for a very loooong time. That's a lot of pressure when it comes to packing, because now I have to think of everything I'll ever want for an entire quarter of a year.

A whole fourth of a year. Crazy.

It's going to be fun, and it's definitely a new adventure for me-- something I've never done before. I'd like to think of this summer as just getting my feet wet, because ideally, I'd really love for the next few years of my life to be like this-- a series of trips to exciting places, staying there a long time and then finding my next big place to be.

Of course, I anticipate that most of those years will be filled with time spent traveling alone, making new friends only once I get to my new temporary "home." So I'll have to get used to the traveling solo thing too. Sounds intimidating, but exciting at the same time. Can't wait to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

... A few thoughts to pass the time...